Two of Atlanta’s historically black colleges and universities have released their reopening plans for the fall semester.
Both Clark Atlanta University and Morehouse College say their semesters will be significantly modified to help keep students, staff and the community safe during the COVID-19 pandemic. This includes mandatory COVID-19 tests, temperature tracking and mask-wearing.
Clark Atlanta, Morehouse and Spelman, combined, have about 9,000 students. They are part of the Atlanta University Center Consortium, the largest collection of historically black colleges in the nation.
- Students and staff will have to be tested for COVID-19 prior to returning to campus
- Face coverings will be mandatory while on campus
- Daily temperature checks upon arrival to campus for all administrators, faculty and staff
- Freshmen and sophomores will attend classes on campus in classrooms that have been reconfigured based on recommended guidelines by the CDC.
- Juniors, seniors, and graduate students will remain home and take all of their courses online. Juniors and seniors who will live in residential halls as ambassadors/mentors will also take their courses online
- Classes will occur on a Monday/Tuesday or Thursday/Friday schedule. No classes will be held on Wednesdays to allow for the sanitizing and deep cleaning of offices, classrooms, residential halls, dining facilities, and labs
- There will be an abbreviated academic calendar that will shorten the fall and spring semesters to ensure that students can travel home to spend time with their families and avoid having to return to school after Thanksgiving and Christmas breaks
- All classrooms and residential halls have been sanitized, and the university has increased the cleaning staff to ensure that classrooms and residential buildings are regularly cleaned
- Classes will be held in a hybrid setting, with some classes gathering for in-person instruction and virtual teaching and learning, and others meeting online only
- The academic calendar has been modified to help make sure that students will return home before winter flu season. The Fall 2020 Semester will end before Thanksgiving. There will be no fall break. Final exams will be held between Nov. 16-20
- Move-in for freshman and transfer students will be held from Aug. 16-17. Move-in for upperclassmen will be held on Aug. 18
- Each student in a traditional residential house and Otis Moss Suites East will have their own room
- Additional hand-sanitizing stations have been added in high traffic areas